Friday, July 27, 2012

Ashcroft in the Newspaper!

I was recently in the Chautauqua daily! Here's the headline: Ashcroft to show off what her voice can do in concert tonight....... Here's what the article said: Sarah Ashcroft is prepared to display how much she has matured. The voice concert, from 6:30 to 8p.m. tonight in McKnight Hall, will feature Ashcroft, along with her fellow vocalists. "For being so young, she has an enormous voice," Benedict Jourdois, a pianist and vocal coach, said of 22-year-old Ashcroft. "She grew a lot already. And I can see it daily." Ashcroft studied at Hope College, where she was encouraged by her maestro, Linda Dykstra, to apply for the Chautauqua Voice Program. But Ashcroft kept missing the deadline. "I ended up going to Philadelphia to student teach at the J.R. Masterman School," Ashcroft said. "Linda told me to get in contact with Don St. Pierre, since he was at Curtis." St. Pierre then agreed to help coach Ashcroft, and during her last coaching, he asked if she had thought about auditioning for Chautauqua. "It was one of my best and favorite auditions I've ever had," Ashcroft said. "Marlena Malas was perfect."  After earning her degree from Hope, Ashcroft embarked on a journey to Chautauqua's fabled grounds. "I came here saying I was to learn... And that's happening and so much more!" In the fall, Ashcroft will begin her studies at the Eastman School of Music with Katherine Ciesinski. But tonight, she will belt out her favorite spirituals, which include 'Take my hand, Precious Lord,' 'Ride on, King Jesus!' and 'This Little Light o'Mine.'  "These three songs hit close to home for me," Ashcroft said. "There is something fascinating about singing in English-- my own language. It's a text everyone can understand." Her affinity with the spirituals is why Ashcroft feels tonight's performance will be one to cherish. "I was way more nervous for my first recital here," Ashcroft said, "Now, I'm excited, because it's such a wonderful group to sing for; they're so welcoming."  A major reason for the sudden change in stage presence comes from all the things she is absorbing from her peers. "I learned how to look at what others are doing and I say, 'Hey, I think I can try that,'" Ashcroft said. "Not only am I watching myself grow, but I'm watching the others grow. I think that is something I'll take away from this experience."  Voice coach Joel Harder is also taking notice. "They're all gaining confidence through their repertoire and experience. They really get to show off what their voices can do." Chautauqua's inspiring atmosphere adds wings to her dreams. Ashcroft said Chautauqua is providing a nice, safe environment where she can explore her voice. "Every week, I meet more and more people, and they keep saying these positive things to me," she said. "It's really nice to hear, because it's scary sometimes to think about how I a, going to spend 15 years of my life studying my voice. And maybe... I'll have a career."

1 comment: