Monday, July 16, 2012

Being Smart

I'm about to spill one of the biggest secrets ever... Seriously. There are many tricks and strategies that singers use- especially in a profession that requires a little bit of competition. Before I get to the spilling of the secrets I will share part of my strategy. When I go into an audition I come in like a normal person. My goal is to look like I'm not real competition. I'll wear jeans, sneakers, and a sweatshirt. I typically bring my pink backpack and shove all of my junk in. I also try to warm up before entering the building so no one knows what I sound like. Once I'm in the "waiting room" I find a seat and start sizing up the competition. Everyone has their thing. Typically, I don't worry about the men as much because they aren't really a threat to me. I'm more worried about the coloraturas, the spintos, the contraltos, and (the biggest competition) the full lyrics. I start off by looking at the overall look of each singer. Yes, I judge the outfit. Some girls show too much skin, or their lipstick is too red, OR they decided to try out a pair of 6" yellow platforms-- all of these unacceptable. My audition dress is perfect. Black, tea length, 3/4 sleeves? Perfect dress! After judging appearances I look at attitudes. Nothing bothers me more than a diva... Seriously... Nobody my age has the right to act like a diva. Attitudes don't do very well in the profession. Just ask Kathleen Battle. I'll walk around and ask the typical "what are you singing?" The funny part? I've usually don't know most of the repertoire said, but I just nod my head and gush over how it's my favorite. It's always fun to blurt out your aria's title. "Why, yes! It'll be singing " frgjhmkjoivffnhggffdvbjhgvdsx tgvnfd" by shiggleballiglepatiggleliggle. What you've never heard of it? Well, it's a very famous aria!" ;) Oy. Then my name is called and I go audition. Most audition go very well. I always have an adrenaline rush that makes my performances pretty fun. The I walk off and the divas then realize that I meant business. Almost immediately I change back into street clothes and walk around. The end. Ready for the big secret? In order to make it in the world of opera a singer must be SMART. What do I mean by this? A singer must always be able to take music suggestions and recommendations and be able to implement them immediately. Today, I had a coaching with a singer, J. Sapp. I was incredibly excited because we were working on German, which happens to be my favorite. He stopped me and corrected things and I tried my hardest to edit my singing and reach the sound he was looking for. At the end of my coaching he asked me if he did okay. I was floored! He was amazing! He helped me so much. He turned to me and said, "You are a very smart singer. You were able to take my recommendations and change your sound instantly. You took what I said and went with it. Most of the singers I worked with today would listen to my direction and sing exactly like they had before. Thank you for doing that. Can we meet again." I was very giddy after this coaching. This isn't the first time I've heard this. Most of the coaches are surprised by how quickly I pick up music or of fast I can find the right placement. I hope it all sticks. It's always great if you're a good singer, but you have to find your strategy and be SMART.

5 comments:

  1. Now Sarah, of course your smart! Look who you mom is. Plus, you had an amazing voice teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cough cough* YOU'RE smart ;) :P

      Thanks, mom... And my voice teacher? Yup! She's pretty amazing! :D

      Delete
  2. Sarah I didn't say that I was smart....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a joy to stumble on your post, Sarah! more proud of you than I can say. Sing on!

    Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, Thanks for the continued updates!
    Yes, it is very SMART to listen well to others who have gone out before us and learned well. It is how we all improve as a society. Learning from the past. Seems rather simple, but like you say, not always acted on.
    Keep up the SMART learning. You will go far .....

    ReplyDelete